Council Tax reductions for people with mental and/or physical disabilities (England & Wales only)

There are two forms of discount available for disabled people:

Disabled band reduction scheme

This scheme makes sure disabled people don’t pay more Council Tax if they need:
  • a bigger property
  • to adapt their home because of their disability
The property must be the main home of at least 1 disabled person. They can be an adult or a child and don’t have to be responsible for paying the Council Tax.
The property must have 1 or more of:
  • an extra bathroom, kitchen or other room for the disabled person
  • extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair

Other Council Tax reductions

People who are severely mentally impaired and some live-in carers are exempt when working out Council Tax.  Some people living with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder will qualify under the 'Severe Mental Impairment' exemption - please be aware that this isn't restricted to people with learning difficulties etc.

 To find out if you qualify, please contact your local Council Tax office via the link below, tell the officers about your circumstances and ask them if you qualify.  People living in Scotland may be entitled to an equivalent scheme - please check with your Local Authority.

Good luck with your application.

Villayat 'Wolf' Sunkmanitu

Popular Posts