Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP) - Personal Review as a Consumer
Knowing nothing about the issues concerned, I was talked into getting an ASHP for my home. Here are the issues I discovered:
1. ASHP don't heat the home to same heating mass that Gas Central Heating does. My inner walls never got warmish.
2. If I was away for a few days, the house smelt mouldy.
3. During Winter, the ASHP raised my electricity bill by between 300-400%.
4. I couldn't get the temprature just right - it was either just below where I needed it to be or a couple of degrees over; this causes problems for asthmatics.
5. Various professional sources have confirmed that ASHPs aren't appropriate for 80% of the UK's housing stock because our insulation isn't up to the right levels. New builds should be okay though.
I tried an ASHP for a Winter and went back to Gas Central heating, the house is just right again.